For my Tourism Accommodations I had to look for an article about hotels. To my great surprise I found a wonderful article in The New York Times called “An Inn Is an Oasis from Environmental Affronts” about a bed and breakfast in Massachusetts called the Topia Inn. Yet, this is no ordinary bed and breakfast. The Topia Inn is an “Eco-Friendly” bed and breakfast with style, artistic direction, and a unique experience to offer guests. The owners Caryn Heilman, a former dancer, and Nana Simopoulos, a music composer, are both artists and wanted to provide people with a green experience and show that people do not have to give up comforts to be eco-friendly, but there are some rules the guests do have follow if they choose to stay there. The rules include, no smoking, no chemical fragrances or bug repellants, shoes cannot be worn inside the Inn at all and must be left outside or covered with the inn’s neoprene booties, and also guest have to leave all grooming products at home but complimentary organic bath and body products are provided. Another awesome feature about this bed and breakfast is that almost everything about this inn is eco-friendly. The building was an abandoned hotel and the current owners decided to recycle it and add solar panels, layers of colored clay on the walls instead of paint, and the insulation is made from recycled jeans. Even some of the furniture is made from salvaged wood.
Customers have the option of picking from 10 different rooms each with a different theme and designed by different artists. Each room has a flat screen TV with a DVD player and the Inn also offers free wireless internet to its guests. Depending on the room, the bathrooms offer guests a whole new level of relaxation. There is either a low-flow, energy saving bathtub that has chromotherapy, which are colored lights that illuminate the water and in other rooms there is a low-flow rainfall shower that has aromatherapy within the showerhead.
I thought this hotel was so amazingly cool! If I ever got the chance I would definitely check it out if I was in Massachusetts. This inn is very unique and to find a hotel that is eco-friendly and comforatable at the same time is great. I have also posted the links to article in The New York times and also the link to the hotel’s webpage. Until next time, Have a Fantastic Day!!!
Article-http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/02/05/travel/escapes/05greeninn.html?scp=1&sq=topia%20inn&st=cse
Topia Inn Webpage- http://topiainn.com/
Lonni Summers
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Topia Inn- An Eco-Friendly Hotel
Posted by Lonni at 4:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment